Case Study: Salmon-Safe Certification at 5 MLK
Salmon-Safe Certification at 5 MLK
5 MLK, a 220-unit mixed-use, multifamily, office, and retail property located in Portland, OR, exemplifies our commitment to protecting the local ecology. Located in Portland’s Central Eastside near the Willamette River, the project was designed with a focus on stormwater management, water quality, habitat protection, and water use management and received Salmon-Safe Certification in Q2 2019 while under construction.
Salmon-Safe Certification seeks to preserve urban and agricultural watersheds through responsible site development and land use practices.
To earn certification, stormwater management practices and water conservation strategies were evaluated for impacts to water quality and habitat.
Stormwater management practices at 5 MLK include:
- Over 35% of the total site area is planted (15% better than the LEED credit criteria)
- Virtually 100% of the stormwater from the site is treated through green stormwater infrastructure on-site, restoring the pre-development hydrology of the property
Water conservation strategies at 5 MLK include:
- Water-efficient fixtures throughout
- Drought-tolerant, native landscaping, and an efficient drip irrigation system which collectively reduce irrigation demand by 75%
- Submeters for irrigation and hot water systems which track water to detect leaks or future water savings opportunities